It beats me to think that I had Cookery as a subject in school and how I used to simply not like it then. From then to now, where I love baking and cooking – I have come a long way. So much so that even at my work place, in between the breaks; I keep browsing my FB and insta feeds and more often than not I am stuck on a food recipe video :p
One such recipe I came across recently on Kirti Bhoutika‘s profile and just made it right away the next day with a little addition of my own – The original recipe used chia seeds where as I used coconut. Coconut and chocolate are a match made in heaven I am telling you!
This recipe here is so simple and so easy and the best part is – it is completely sugar less. The sweetness it gets is from the dates and the chocolate chunks. People with Diabetes can have this without worry. And you can have it just like that also – completely guilt free 😀
- 30 pitted dates
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 tspn baking powder
- 1/2 tspn baking soda
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate compound
- 1 tspn vanilla essence
- Soak the pitted dates in milk for 4-5 hours or overnight
- Grind the dates to a fine paste.
- In another large bowl, sift the flour and add all the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix well and pour in a greased baking tin.
- You can add shredded coconut, chopped walnuts and dark chocolate chunks on top of the batter for a better taste
- Bake the cake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for about 35-40 minutes
- Once done, take out on a cooling rack and have it with tea/coffee or just as an afternoon snack - tastes amazing!
Next time I make it, I am thinking of adding coco/coffee powder to this recipe – what do you guys think, how will it turn out?