Spinach – one ingredient I have always disliked. Or rather, liked less. Unless it is in the form of corn cheese spinach rolls. Ooh, I really love those balls – they are just so cheesy. But then again, they hardly contain any spinach.
But trust me, one day I was just so motivated to make a tasty something out of Spinach, I kept on searching for healthy as well as tasty recipes the whole day ~ and after going through so many of them on various blogs and Pinterest, landed on this one here – a simple dal recipe with green grams. And boy! did it turn out tasty or what! It turned out just amazing – I just did not need any paratha to go with it, I could have it alone.
Trust me on this – if you are looking for a spinach recipe for your kids or for anyone who you want to have spinach – definitely try this one.
- 1 big bowl spinach leaves
- 2 small measure bowl whole green gram (moong)
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tomato chopped
- 8-10 garlic cloves
- 1 small piece ginger
- 2 green chillies
- 3 -4 tspn Red chilli powder
- 2 tspn Garam masala powder
- 2 tspn Turmeric powder
- 1 tspn Hing powder
- 2 - 3 tspn cumin seeds powder
- 1 tspn cumin seeds
- 3 tspn Oil
- Water to boil
- Salt to taste
- Wash and chop the spinach leaves into small pieces
- Boil the moong (whole green gram) and spinach together in a pressure cooker till tender - about 7 to 8 whistles. Once done, keep it aside while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Grind the green chillies, ginger and garlic together.
- In a separate pan, heat the oil and add the cumin seeds. As soon as they splutter, add the garlic ginger green chilli paste.
- Add the chopped onions and saute till transparent.
- Add the chopped tomatoes to the mix
- Add all the dry spices and mix them well with the onions and tomatoes.
- Add the boiled moong spinach to the mix.
- Add water as required for adjusting the consistency.
- Bring the dal to a boil.
- Garnish with a coriander leaf if you have guests and serve hot. Or just have it like that with a paratha!
There! Your dal is done. It is so simple and tasty that it has become a part of my regular meals now. Every once in a while, either my mom or I prepare it. Do give this a shot and I am sure it will become a family favorite!