I am sure anyone and everyone reading this post has definitely heard about Quinoa. It is definitely the ‘in-thing’ these days! Honestly, I had no clue about how it looks or tastes until one fine day I decided to give this super food a shot – and prepared a salad using it.
You know, there is something about salads. I absolutely love them – they are so light on the stomach, easy to digest, tasty and pack a flavor bomb. And amid these, when you add the goodness of quinoa – it becomes super healthy as well. This super simple salad is damn easy to prepare and can be had for a healthy in-between snack or in the morning.
Cultivated by the Indians in Andes in South America, Quinoa is not a new grain or something that has been invented recently. It has been around for years – its just that the usage and the health benefits have become popular in recent times with the young generation turning more and more towards healthy foods. So, here is a simple salad recipe using this super-grain.
- 1 cup chick peas
- 1 cup black eyed peas/cow pea/chauli beans
- 1 cup red cow pea/ red chauli beans
- 1/2 cup moong / green gram
- 1 cup black chick peas
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 cup finely chopped cabbage
- 1 cup finely chopped cucumber
- 2-3 tspn pepper powder
- 1.5 tspns lemon juice
- 4-5 tspn oil
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- Soak all the beans overnight or for 6-7 hours before preparation. Quinoa does not need to be soaked.
- Boil all the beans and quinoa in separate vessels. This will take about 15-20 mins or 3 cooker whistles. Let them all cool once boiled.
- Mix all the beans together. Add the vegetables, salt, pepper powder, oil and coriander leaves and toss everything properly. And lo! a fresh salad is ready! Garnish with coriander leaves and it will look damn attractive.
Please note that this salad is not advisable to have much during the dinner time or late night as it will be difficult to digest the beans.
This salad is so simple – it does not require any effort as such. You can even teach your children how to prepare it. Especially for people who live alone, this salad proves to be a wholesome nutritious meal and can be had on its own as it requires minimal effort – Just toss everything, put it in a lunch box and mid day meal is ready! Just like that!